I’m in full on music mode at the moment. I've been skimming thorough my ipod all day trying to find songs I haven’t listened to in ages (hence my earlier post about The Hoosiers.)
I’m listening to Genesis at the moment, which for some reason has the ability to send me back in time to The Rowans in Billericay, Essex. “Throwing it All Away” makes me feel as though I’m sitting in our old living room on the brown sofas on a Saturday morning while the music blasted through the house. It’s truly bizaare but I can see the room now, exactly as I was back in 1992. I think that’s why it’s always been my favorite Genesis song (well, OK…one of them.)
My Dad is the same way with music. If something comes on the radio he can pinpoint exactly where he was, who he was with and sometimes even what he was eating while the song played.
Music is often therapy for me. The song may not have anything to do with my life or be completely un-relatable to my life at the moment, but I still calms me down.
Below is a list of songs that remind me of stuff
I believe in a Thing Called Love- The Darkness
On Mothers day a few years ago I made my Mum a CD with the song on it. My Brother was home for the weekend and when the song came on proceeded to sing it perfectly, note for note. We laughed so much that tears were running down our cheeks. It remains a family joke to this day. In fact, it’s my Bro’s ringtone on my phone, so I always know it’s him
Love Shack – The B52s
This is my Mum’s favorite song ever! After years of being humiliated by her leaping up and dancing at every party it was ever played at I have since become at one with the song and sing along with her when it comes on the radio. We can even harmonize it now lol.
Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
This is my Dads favorite song. He has Pink Floyd's “Pulse” concert on DVD and whenever he’s left on his own in the house he puts in on and has the stereo up so loud the rafters shake. After years of brainwashing it is one of my fave songs too. I sing the backing singers part along with the DVD while my Dad sheepishly sings David Gilmore's part. Classic.
Baby One More Time- Britney Spears
I was on my way to school at the Anglo European School when I first heard this song and immediately loved it. I soon became like every other music critic and for years said that I hated everything Britney Spears did. However, at 25 I've come to peace with everything Britney. Her songs are great for singing along to in the car. I have shamelessly bought almost all of her Cd's online and when I need to be put in a good mood can sing along to Circus with ridiculous accuracy.
Evanescence – Bring Me To Life
This was the song that introduced me to one of my fave bands. My friends think I’m lame for liking them but I really don’t care. I love the song, Amy Lee’s voice and the fact that my Mum likes them just as much as I do. I saw them once in concert before they really hit it big and got tickets to their next tour which was supposed to be amazing. I say “supposed” because although I went to the concert, I didn't get to see them. After hours of watching crap supporting bands, my boyfriend at the time told me we had to leave ‘cos he didn't feel well. He’d been sick for a while with kidney stones, but little did I know that his Doctor told him he shouldn't be going to concerts, ‘cos the vibrations could cause him pain. We had the leave the concert and I had to drive him straight to the hospital. As we were walking to the parking lot I heard the first Evanescence song and threw an internal shit fit. I have to say I still resent having to leave the show and get pissed off every time I think about it. Needless to say I’m no longer with the guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment