With my job prospects dwindling I've been trying to come up with ideas of what I could do next. Kind of looking for an alternative plan in case I can't find a job in Michigan.
A couple of my friends think I should just play it by ear and see what happens. They seem to think that planning will narrow down my choices, that I should leave it all up to fate. (and while I love them for their never ending faith in Karma and the universe in general, I have to say I'm a little skeptical)
So I was thinking over plans and here's what it boils down to. If it's true that it'll take Michigan 5 years to get back on it's feet (on the job front) then I'll have to leave the state. I don't feel that I should put my life (and possibly career) on hold indefinitely while I wait for this place to sort itself out. Now obviously this is going to suck for many reasons. Firstly I like Michigan. It's a beautiful place to live, my Parents and friends are here and I really really hate the idea of doing the whole "making new friends" thing again. That may sound stupid but when you've moved around as much as I did when I was a kid the idea of starting over again is daunting and frankly pretty depressing to0.
So I've decided I'm going to (hopefully, depending largely on the money situation) take a tour of places where I already have friends or relatives. That means going to Minneapolis, California, Ohio, New York, The Midlands and London (England) and seeing if I can get a job anywhere.
At the very least I'll get to have a lot of vacations, and at most I might find my dream job.
This will probably not end up happening at all. I'll no doubt spend the summer applying for (and not getting) jobs at Starbucks but I figure if I don't at least plan to do something I'll wind up being 30 years old, living at home, working for minimum wage waiting for the "right thing to come along" A plan is better than nothing at all. Don't ya think?
No comments:
Post a Comment