Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Essex Girl

I read the article below and thought it poses a really interesting question

http://timesonline.typepad.com/alphamummy/2009/04/how-american-should-my-daughter-be.html

As I'm sure you know I'm from England but live in the States. The article poses the question of how integrated do you become when you move to a new place and decide to stay. The woman in the article is mother and is concerned that her Daughter will grow up in the UK and not know anything of where she came from (Texas).

I don't really know if it's something that my parents were even concerned with but I would assume they were at some point. We still take the mickey out of my Brother who talks to his American friends in an American accent and then turns around and speaks English English (proper English lol) to us.

I never really had to deal with that, I was too bloody stubborn to loose my accent (at the time it seemed like punishment for my Parents who moved us back to the States when I didn't want to come...can we say passive aggressive much?)

I do have to say though that I have always felt a bit left out. I don't belong in the States. But i don't belong in the UK either.

I am a horrible contradiction, one that no doubt drives most of my family mad. When I'm in American I want to be in England and when I'm in England I miss the States.

This has lead me to proclaim that I'm moving back to the UK more than once. First after high school when I was set on going to a UK university (couldn't afford it), second when I did work experience in London, third was my ill fated trip last year that was supposed to tell me where I was going to end up. Unfortunately I didn't really get the whole "living and working in London" experience because I couldn't get a job and was living with my Grandparents (hardly foot loose and fancy free)

So at 25 I'm still very much questioning it. And that's fine I suppose, a lot of people don't know where they want to end up. I have to say though that part of me really want to live in some lovely country village, own a used bookshop and have a very quite, content life. I suppose that's my plan B...and one I think I could really get used to.

Back to the article though, I don't think you can predict how moving will effect a child. Every kid reacts differently. My brother and I are perfect examples of this. When we moved back to England I immediately hit the ground running, but he really struggled and probably hated it quite a lot. I don't think he left the house except to go to school in 2 years.

When we moved back to the States things completely changed. He sprang into action and did everything American teenagers are supposed to do, prom, dating, drinking etc. I on the other hand hardly ever left my room. I kept my nose buried in books and wished I was somewhere else (I was also probably the bitchiest 15 year old you'll ever meet. Sorry Mum and Dad)

So I suppose what I'm getting at is that you just don't know whats going to happen. I do know that no matter where I am I'll always be English. I'll always prefer Cadburys to Hershey, I'll never get Seinfield or coleslaw, I'll always prefer Brit Lit and if money were no object and a little book shop came up for sale...I'd buy it like a shot.

No comments: