Friday, May 1, 2009

I Need to Get Something Off My Chest

My Dad has worked in the Automotive industry since he was 16 years old. It's taken him From England to Detroit to Germany to Holland back to England back to Detroit back to England and Back to Detroit.

I said when all this trouble started that none of the big three should be allowed to go bankrupt, that it would kill Detroit...and as Chrysler filed yesterday I can say that this state is standing on the edge of a knife, and it's slowing tipping towards the abyss.

It was irresponsible for the Government to let this happen and it was even more irresponsible for these companies to mismanage their business so badly. It's so difficult to comprehend the mess this has made to people who don't live here, but almost everyone I know here works for the big three or suppliers to the big three. I myself am interning at a supplier and will likely loose my job next week.

On the scale of things it really doesn't matter. This is not a field I'm trained in and one I couldn't stay in anyway. But thousand upon thousands of designers, engineers, admins, managers, sales people etc. will suffer and most likely be unable to find jobs in these fields in the future. Not to mention the shops, restaurants, movie theaters, doctors offices and every other kind of infrastructure.

So all I can say to everyone else out there is you can't forget about Detroit and Michigan...people here are suffering and through no fault of their own. We need help here before this gets any worse...if that's even possible.

No comments: