As I'm sure you'll remember I'm a perpetual job hunter. With the Christmas season closing in a lot of shops have put 'help wanted' signs in their windows and I've been clamoring to apply to as many as possible.
Just before I went on my weekend vacation to Ohio (OHIO!!!) I got a call about an interview. To be honest the phone call left me totally confused. I couldn't understand a word that the woman said, I didn't even remember applying for the job and over the hum of the gas station pump and the car engine I didn't even hear where or what it was.
So anyway, upon listening to the message in the quite of a house, I realized the job was for a cosmetic/bath type shop (think Bath and Body works or the Bodyshop...but not either of those.) Anyway, when I called back about the interview (the second time) I was told that for the interview I had to dress up like a fairytale princess!!!!!!!!
Now, I'm far from prudish. I dressed up as Hermione for our Harry Potter launch party when I worked at a book store...but what in the name of all that is holy does dressing up as a princess have with selling cosmetic and bath products in an upscale mall?
I totally felt like I was being punked, that I'd turn up to the interview in a tutu and tiara while everyone else would be in black. On the urging of some other people who also thought it was really weird I called back to clarify. Yes, it was true that I needed to dress up. Apparently the girls in the store do this often (having a Harry Potter day a few weeks ago) and they think it's fun. And I'm sure it is, and I'm sure if I get the job I'd enjoy working with people who do this sort of thing...but still in the back of my mind I have an image of me walking into the mall in a swishy skirt, tiara and glittery eye makeup and looking like a total twat!
I also failed to mention that for the past 25 years of my life I have never been tempted to dress up like a fairy, princess or anything sugary sweet...I always favored the darker costumes. So on Tuesday I went shopping and spent $40 (money I don't have) on a costume for a job interview...where hopefully they'll give me back the money I invested. I'm slightly concerned with how I'll be judged in the interview. Will the girl the the most intricate costume get the job? will my makeshift costume be up to scratch? Will I get the job?
Stay tuned and please think of me traipsing through the most expensive and high brow mall in the area in a fairy costume on Monday...I'll need all the good thoughts in the world to try and win back some of my dignity.
No comments:
Post a Comment