Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lie to Me

Do you ever lie? I don't mean the "that outfit looks great on you" kind of lie but a deep and sophisticated "I graduated from law school" when really you've worked at Burger King your whole adult life- lie.

The reason I ask is that seemingly all the books I read (OK, so chick lit books I read) have girls who feel it's necessary to pathologically lie about their past/present/future etc. and that is the general premise of the novel. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this in theory, usually it leads to endless hilarity if not slightly cringe-worthy moments when the doctor/gardener/vet their in a relationship with realizes (just by chance of course) that they have lied (or perhaps misled them) about ever aspect of their past.

I get that this is a winning way to throw a wrench in the works, to make things difficult when otherwise the couple would just get together...the end...I do understand that. But come on and give your readers a little credit!

I know that the lie will come out in the end to catastrophic results. I know that the guy will realize how much he loves the girl and in the end it won't matter and that's probably part of the reason I read the book. But for f**ks sake do you have to drag it out so much? and do people really act this way in real life?

I am a terrible liar. Actually, that's not true (see, I lied) I'm a bloody good liar. My problem is I feel such am immense sense of guilt about it that I end up confessing. Perhaps this whole post is a mistake seeing as you have to believe that these characters are realistic in the first place. But I'd really like to know who turns lying into an art form? do you know anyone who can lie the pants off the Queen? Any pathological liars in the family? If you google famous lies you'll be amazed what comes up.

I have to get back to this book and find out what happens (even though I know everything will be all right in the end) damn you chick lit and your tenacious hold on me!

UPDATE: Shock, horror...he didn't actually freak out when he learned the truth! enjoyed the book and of course the ubiquitous happy ending. awww.

No comments: