
As I'm sure you know I am an avid reader and my tastes vary from Harry Potter and Percy Jackson to David Copperfield and Elizabeth Bennet. When I was in the book store the other day I came across a book called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I couldn't resist this book for three reasons. It was set in England, the front, back and inside pages were littered with amazing reviews, and the whole book was written in the form of letters.
I know that any rave review I give this book can't do it justice. All I can say is that the characters are so lovely, quirky and fully formed that I feel as If I know them, and if I were to go to Guernsey they would still be there.
The book is also the kind of thing I would one day like to be capable of writing. It's funny and intriguing with love, horror, sadness, romance, but none of it overwhelms, It just seems so real. I know my writing has a long way to go before it can come up to scratch with this book.
The saddest thing of all though is that the author, Mary Ann Shaffer died last year. It's sad to know she won't ever write a sequel or another amazing book like this one. I am happy though that this book exists and that I can pluck it off my bookshelf every few months and dive back into Guernsey's island life.
No comments:
Post a Comment