Sunday, October 18, 2009

Art Imitates Life? Let's Hope So

I've been beating you all over the head recently with the idea of romance, love and loneliness whether it's through music (Ella Fitzgerald's crooning),books (my near obsession with chick lit and happy endings), movies and now art.

I've recently redone my bedroom and filled the confines of it's pink and gray walls with art that I love. I have family photos, a artistic print of London (a gift from my Aunt and Cousins), two prints on ancient Greek architecture from books from the 1890s (and no, I wasn't the one who ripped them out of books...and I don't condone the practice), a modern print of a girl from the 1920s smelling a rose, a imitation of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters from England in the 1940s and finally my newest addition.

My new addition was pretty cheap and found stuffed behind some other pictures at Homegoods. My mother (who I was shopping with ) was not exactly impressed but I instantly fell in love with it. It depicts a street scene (I think it's London)at night. The lights from the surrounding building filter down and cast everything in silhouette. There is a restaurant on the corner and people are being served by a waiter under an umbrella. Standing on the street corner, also in silhouette is a man and woman. They are huddled under an umbrella, passionately kissing (well, I assume it's pretty passionate.)His arm is around her back, holding her close and she is standing on tiptoes, unable to reach his lips otherwise.

I like to think this couple have an interesting story of how they got on that street corner. Perhaps they have been separated for years and upon seeing each other on the street one day, instantly fell back in love.

Maybe they hated each other until they saw the other in the arms of another. Realizing their feelings they raced through the wet streets of London until enveloping each other in this lingering, eternal embrace.

Maybe he's just proposed to her, unable to spend another day without declaring her his, right there on that street corner in the rain.

Whatever the case, having that picture on my wall, to look at every day gives me hope that romance lives. In truth, the fact that the subject of love is so prominent in out society, be it music, movies, tv shows, books and art, should be proof that surely it exists...otherwise, where else would this all come from. and isn't that a comforting thought?

No comments: