Wednesday, March 11, 2009

For Ben

At Christmas this year my Brother introduced me to the show How I Met Your Mother on CBS. I'd never even seen an episode before so I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about watching it.

To be honest I tend to think that my Brother has crap taste in movies in TV, but in hind site I realize that all the stuff I have ever loved...he liked before me. For example, when The X-Files first came on he loved it and would try and convince me to watch it. I would hide behind the couch or read instead. It took months (possibly even years) for me to do so and I ended up loving it so much that I started reading the books too! I wanted to join the FBI and BE Scully! That's how into it I got.

A few years later when I was in high school he told me I HAD to see this movie, Boondock Saints...but I wrote it off as another crap choice of his, like American Pie. Then when I watched it I completely fell in love with the heartwarming story of the two Irish boys, the Russian and Italian mobs and Willem Defoe in drag (I even introduced a date to it who immediately downloaded the soundtrack!) It's still high on my fave movies list.

Another Great find by Meiner Bruder was Equilibrium, starring a pre-Batman Christian Bale. It was so great, perfect action sequences and gun fights. Oh and for all you girls out there it has Taye Diggs in it...nuff said. Its very Matrix-y and kinda got buried 'cos it came out at around the same time. But it's fab...lost of eye candy!

So, we get back to How I Met You Mother, and me sitting on the couch the day after Christmas (slightly miffed that I didn't get anything on my list...petulant yes I know...but still, not a single frikin' thing!) wanting to watch anything but...so I sat through the first episode grumpily and trying not to laugh...but I LOVED IT. By the next day I'd watch the whole first season and had to go onto Amazon immediately to order the next two.

so I would like to make a public apology to my Big Bother, who despite some dodgy taste in food and dates (Crazy S anyone?) has brilliant taste in TV and Movies and who will from now on be my Yoda to all things entertainment (well, except music, I'm his Yoda when it comes to Music.)

No comments: