Sunday, November 2, 2008

Titanic

I've have always been drawn to the story of the Titanic, ever since i was a little girl. I have never been able to explain why but i have for many years.

When i was in 6th grade my social studies teacher taught us about the Titanic disaster and as part of the learning process (i can only assume) had each of us choose a name from the passenger list and have us write a diary from that persons point of view. Thinking about it now i suppose it was a rather morbid assignment but at the time (and as a budding writer) i found it fascinating.

The name i picked was Nina Harper. She was a little girl on the ship and in second class. I made a pretty diary tied with ribbons and put a black and white picture of the Titanic on the front. I can remember how proud i was of that project (and how miffed i was that i only got a B+) I suppose that's what sparked my interest in the story of the Titanic...and I've been fascinated ever since.

I suppose it was always in the back of my mind when i few years later i found out that a friend of my parents took care of Mrs. Eva Hart, a survivor of the disaster and very famous in England. She had written a book called Shadow of Titanic and i was Lent a signed copy by my parents friend. I can't remember reading the whole thing ( i wasn't much of a book worm as a child) but the part that i did read Eva wrote about playing on the Titanic and that one of the children she played with all those years ago was Nina Harper.

This has always struck me as a crazy coincidence. I don't know what it means, or if it means anything at all but of all the people i could have chosen to write from, knowing that she survived and that she was noticed and remembered has always been interesting to me.

I once read an article in a magazine about a couple who barely knew each other and fell madly in love as soon as they set eyes on each other. They had both always been interested in the story of Titanic and couldn't explain why they felt that they knew each other so well until one day they went for past life regression. Turns out they had both been on Titanic and were eloping (or just married, i can't remember which) and had died when it sank.

Now i don't know if i believe in past life regression, or if my interested in the ship that sank in April 1912 is more or less than the average person but i will probably continue to follow all new developments, weird conspiracy theories and everything else.

I've just finished watching the movie Titanic (which is where the whole idea for this post came from) and it made me sad.

So rather belatedly I'd just like to say Rest in Peace to all those who perished that night or who were scarred by it afterwards. No one will ever forget.

No comments: