Sunday, November 2, 2008

Christmas comes early

It probably won't surprise you that I'm a wee bit obsessed with Christmas. I started painting Christmas ornaments in mid October and ever since then i can't get out of the Christmas spirit!

I bought a pre-lit Christmas tree the other day and had to stop myself from setting it up right away. I was thinking of putting the Christmas lights up this weekend too...although i don't think my roommate would approve, she hasn't even gotten into the Halloween spirit so i think Christmas would probably send her over the edge.

I don't know what it is about Christmas. I think my obsession stems from the whole English thing. Not saying that American aren't into Christmas (because all the pretty lights and inflatable lawn ornaments prove your love for the season) but in England its pretty much a week long celebration.

First it's the wondering what the Christmas number one will be. Its a huge deal that used to kick off the week of merriment. Then the Christmas tele would start, with old movies, costume dramas and most of all the DOCTOR WHO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. It is/was required viewing on Christmas day after the present opening and huge Roast dinner with boiled and baked potatoes, yorkshire pudding, turkey, gravy, swede, runner beans, brussel sprouts (yuck) and to top it all off...Christmas pudding, soaked in brandy and set alight and later covered in cream, brandy butter or custard.

Then, on December 26th we would do it all over again for Boxing Day! which was another huge meal, shopping for deals at Marks and Sparks and going into a week long food coma!

So, like i said...it's a pretty big deal.

So this year all of my Grandparents (hopefully) will be coming over and my desire to have a proper English Christmas right here in the USA is palpable. I'm buying years worth of Christmas TV specials like Doctor Who, The Vicar of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses so we'll have something to watch (why does American TV do nothing special for Christmas? except of course A Christmas Story in TBS) and we're going to make sausage rolls in the morning (My Dads Specialty) and have a huge dinner with copious amounts of alcohol.

I'm so looking forward to it i can't even tell you. If i could skip the next month and go straight to December i would.

So I hope you have a holly, jolly November...and come December I'll welcome you to my Christmas euphoria!

1 comment:

Holyphenix said...

I don't know a UK Christmas was so huge, week long celebrations? That's awesome.

I just ran through your blog and I thought it was going to be longer lol. Good work though keep it up, and if you ever need advice or something just ask!