Saturday, June 13, 2009

Potty for Potter

Now, you guys know I have many obsessions including, Chick Lit, Twilight, Percy Jackson, Greek Mythology, Pushing Daisies and Jane Austen...but I need to introduce you all to my original obsession (well after Rainbow Bright and Jem) Harry Potter!

I was a little late jumping on this bandwagon (of course) but once I did I was, and am, all in. My love for JK Rowling and Potter runs deep...very deep, insanely deep in fact. Like most people I feel like I know these characters so well and on the eve of the new movie coming out (albeit a little late...thanks Warner Brothers!) I have started to reread the 6th book.

It's impossible for me to forget how much I love the books, but I do manage to forget how truly entertaining they are. I know when I'm finished with this one I'll have to reread number 7, and I know I'll cry when Harry walks into the Forrest alone at the end, and my heart will race when he battles Voldemort in the Great Hall at Hogwarts and I know when I close the book I'll feel the strange sense of loss that I felt the first and second time I finished the 7th book. It always puts me in a funk.

Maybe it's because I don't have a huge amount going on in my life, maybe it's because I don't have a massive circle of friends who I get to see all the time (although the Friends I do have rock...but I digress) but I tend to connect to stories and characters more than other people. Most people read a books and enjoy them but can let go once it's over...I can't seem to do that. I feel like I know Lizzy Bennet and Harry Potter and I feel that if they existed we'd probably be friends. Is that weird? probably, right?

Don't get me wrong i know they're fictional and I have a complete grip on reality, but they have adventures and live exciting lives. The women in my Chick Lit books get the guy, no matter how inept they are. Whereas I sit at home reading about other girls getting the guy...do you see what I mean?

I think one of the reasons I like writing is that my characters can say what I never get the chance to say, they can have the highly illogical meeting with the handsome guy on a plane or can fit into the perfect size 4 while I'm desperately trying to get back into an 8. In short sometimes it's more fun to concoct the perfect life for a character, or read about a perfect life someone else has created, than work on my own not so perfect life.

This post kinda got away from me a bit...i really only intended to talk about my Potter love. So sorry for going off on a tangent... In apology here's a trailer for the new HP...Yay!

No comments: