I just watched a program True Life, In The New Kid on MTV about an American girl who's family move to New Zealand and I can't tell you how much she reminds me of myself when I moved back to England when I was 13.
It was strange because I was finally in a place where I thought "well, at least we all speak with the same accent" and everyone told me they thought I spoke "American." I was so scared the first day of school, I'm pretty sure I cried just out of sheer terror (although in the car, not in front of anyone.)
I hated the uniform too. After four years of being able to wear what I want, wearing a navy blazer and skirt and an (I kid you not) bright yellow blouse did nothing to help with my confidence. We had been given a list of things we could and could not wear (no makeup, no super high heels, skirts had to be below the knee) so when I showed up, dressed to follow the rules, I realized that no one else had done that. Girls had high heels on and their skirts rolled up from the waste band so they looked shorter. I think I had fixed mine by lunch on the first day!
The worst part of starting a new school was always the waiting around before class. In class you were normally told where to sit, before class you were fair game for anyone...
I was lucky. I was adopted by my group of friends within the first 3 minutes of class and one of those girls is still one of my closest friends even though I was only at the school for 2 years.
It's strange that I feared going to that school so much, and it ended up being the best school I ever went to. I'll still never forget the immense sense of fear from my first day though, and every job interview, first day of work or new meeting always has a little bit of the initial fear mixed in with it. I suppose there are just some things you never grow out of.
But to all the new kids out there, it does get better, I promise
No comments:
Post a Comment