Friday, July 10, 2009

Master Plan

I was chatting with my parents last night and told my Dad that I wanted to get a masters in creative writing...he looked at me like I was an alien.

What are you going to do with that? How will that help you get a job? etc. were the questions he asked and to be honest I didn't have very good reply for him.

answers like: write. and it probably won't...didn't seem to quell his uneasiness.

The truth is I don't expect a masters in creative writing will help me get a better job in any way, shape or form. I do think it will make me a better writer and actually MAKE me finish something (I have tons of stories I've started but never finished. The other day I found a great story set in London after WWI and couldn't even remember writing it!)

I need structure if I'm going to make it as a writer. I need to know when things are due, I need people telling me my stuff is crap so I can go back and make it better and I need to do something other than stand in the unemployment line.

So I'm scouting out schools, looking for loans and thinking this could be a lot of fun for me.

I'm also hoping my friend Toots will go to the same school at the same time so we can be roomies again! It just needs to fall into place.

No comments: