This is probably a load of rubbish, but I realized recently that my best relationship was my first...when I was seven years old!
It probably sounds crazy to anyone else, but I remember it being the perfect in play school romance. My boyfriend was a boy named Jamie Walker who I vaguely remember as being very sweet and who had this bouncy blond hair and massive blue eyes. He would always chase me during the kissing games on the playground and I (saucy little minx that I was) would always let him catch me.
Now, you may be wondering how on earth this was my most successful relationship, and I'll tell you that Jamie was the boyfriend who treated me the best. The world is full of f**kwits who play games, selfish bastards, or just plane mean men. I've been lucky never to have been afflicted with the latter, but indifference is often worse than selfishness and I've experienced my fair share of that.
It astounds me that a seven year old boy knew more about women than any of the "men" that followed him. I remember vividly one valentines day I opened the front door and sitting on the doorstep was a box of chocolates, a hand made card and a red rose. What grown up would ever put that much thought into something like that? I remember being blown away even then (and OK, maybe a little smug). I've had a whole bunch of roses before but that single little rose still tops them all. It wasn't that it was a grand gesture, but that it was something nice to do (I'm sure with the help of his Mum) and something I'm sure he thought would make me happy (and it did...as I remember vividly keeping it and putting it in a scrap book).
Now, of course school yard romances are supposed to be sweet, and often end rather rapidly (mine ended when Jamie moved...although we did write to each other for a while...until a lapse in attention span.) I have no idea how long we were boyfriend and girlfriend (probably with the average 7 year old attention span something like two weeks) but clearly little Jamie left his mark on me (and a little part of me hopes that my little redheaded self left my mark on him.)
Now, I don't know if my luck at having a decent boyfriend at seven has predisposed me to have...let's say "challenges" ever since, but it does make you think.
As Valentines day approaches next month (I work in a card store, holidays always seem closer than they really are) I will be remembering that little surprise on my doorstep and hope that after 18 years, Jamie is still making someone happy on Valentines Day. I meanwhile will be trying to sort out the assholes from the f**kwits. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment