Sunday, December 27, 2009

Post Christmas Blues

My brother went home today and everything seems very un-Christmassy. I know Christmas is over, but in the UK the feeling of Christmas spreads all the way to New Years Eve. The shops are still full of Christmas stuff, people are still eating turkey and perhaps most importantly people are still partying.

It seems like in America people can't wait for Christmas to be over. The very next day TV schedules go back to normal, the news of the day becomes stagnant and boring again. It's almost as if it never happened.

Perhaps this is why I always feel more Christmassy when we go home to England for the holidays. I think people over there live in a perpetual state of drunkenness for at least a week before and after Christmas.

As it is I can't really stomach looking at the Christmas tree. I have this great urge to rip down all the decorations and hibernate until spring. Christmas is the only thing I like about Winter. In England winter basically ends in January or February, here it stretches on into March and sometimes April! The prospect of having four more months of snow and ice fills me with an immense sense of dread and misery.

I've spent my time watching some very English drama, including Doctor Who and Foyle's War which are perhaps my favorite TV series of the moment. I go back to work tomorrow which I am not looking forward to. I'll spend my hours locked up in the mall thinking of England and hoping that Spring is only around the corner.

No comments: