My Dad was having a clear out today and found two old school reports of mine. the first is when I was seven and the other when I was nine!
It's so strange to read what people thought of you at that age. When you're a child other people's opinions of you don't seem to matter, but looking back I've noticed how little I have changed. Apparently I spent a lot of my time daydreaming. The teacher politely suggested that I would be more successful if I didn't take so many frequent trips to la la land.
The reports also said that I liked reading and writing (I don't really remember reading a lot when I was younger but OK.) My teacher also said I had a big imagination and that my stories and poems were always interesting. As a wannabe writer I have to say I've taken this to heart. As though my teacher saw potential in me all those years ago and that I'm destined to be a writer. Of course, it could all be a load of bollocks and there were so few things I was good at she may of just felt sorry for me and offered one little glimmer of hope to my parents. Either way I'm clinging to that glimmer of hope.
I don't remember a lot about primary school. I remember snippets and friends, but nothing concrete. I suppose that's to be expected when you reach 25, but I do wish that I remembered more about it as it was a time free from moving and I was apparently (according to my teacher anyway) quite popular and happy, if a little shy.
I wonder how much of a persons personality is determined in the first ten years of their life. Upon reading those reports I can't help but feel like I haven't changed all that much. I'm still shy upon meeting people for the first time, I still love to read and write and I still have a core group of friends that I rely on for support. Like I said, I vaguely remember myself at that age and have often wondered how different I would have turn out had I not moved to the states.
I suppose none of it matters. I am a little tickled that I was considered a "gentle girl who often thinks of other people's comfort before her own." I'd like to think that's true today but don't really know if it is. I suppose we all want to think of ourselves as the innocent children we once were.
Maybe this is just me over thinking everything, as usual. Whatever, I like little glimpses into the past. It's cheered me right up and put me in a better mood for work.
No comments:
Post a Comment