Monday, January 5, 2009

Do You Who?

For those of you who don't know me (and I'm pretty sure only 3 people read this anyway so chances are you know me...but whatever) I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. If you don't know what Doctor Who is then google it...it's one of the best TV shows on TV right now.

So I've been a fan since my Cousin introduced me to it in its first year back (it's been going since 1963 but came back in 2005). Now, I've watched it religiously, mostly on YouTube so i can get the most up to date stuff...but there is one episode that I just can't watch without bursting into tears. Now granted I'm pretty much an emotional wreck at the moment anyway, so I only need to see those ASPCA commercials to start crying...but this scene doesn't just make me cry...I sob! it's crazy, I know whats going to happen, I've seen it before and I know that there is a semi-happy ending in a later series, but all I can tell you is that I watch it and I cry.

You may well be thinking "well then stop being so stupid and just don't watch it!" and I would generally say that's a pretty logical idea and for the most part I've been doing that. But I just watched the clip on my laptop about 5 mins ago (telling myself that's it's about bloody time that i stop crying at it) and I still cried.

So what is this scene? is there death? destruction?...in a way yes to both...but it's more than that it's the parting of ways of the two main characters, who clearly both love each other but can't be together. And if you want to know the reason then I'll tell you, THE WHOLE UNIVERSE WILL BE RIPPED APART! good enough reason for ya?

so yeah it's sci-fi and you probably think I'm being silly, and maybe I am, but that scene encompasses so much that I fear all in one: being separated from the people I love, never finding a man to love me (in the romantic sense not the family and friends sense. I've always thought I'd be one of those girls who just never finds anyone and ends up a crazy cat lady), being heartbroken, wanting something you can't have. All these themes are there...and I guess it's all my fears rolled into one.

So as i sit watching it I'm probably more emotionally invested than the average person, and maybe I'm a bit of a freak for identifying with a 900 yr old Time Lord and his shop girl crush, but there ya go. It's great story telling and I think if you don't find it sad then nothing will melt your cold cold heart.

If you don't Who, i say give it a chance...you may not be quite as invested in it as me, but it's brilliant. I myself will keep watching forever i think...and hey if i do end up a crazy cat lady at least I'll have a TV to continue my emotional education.

No comments: