Saturday, March 13, 2010

Application Hell

Have you ever applied to four Universities at once? You probably have and you probably handled it in a quick, organized fashion with color coded post it notes and manila folders. With me it's more like a paper bomb has exploded all over my Fathers desk.

I've been using my Dads desk even though I bought one for $100 a few years ago for just such an occasion as this. Too bad my desk is covered in my 1949 typewriter (which hasn't been used for at least a month)

Anyway, I spent practically all of yesterday filling in forms, printing off personal statements and writing samples and writing addresses on prepaid envelopes. I have never been so sick at the sight of my old name in my entire life! I can now list my employment history and educationally history at the drop of a hat.

I still have more to print off today, but I couldn't battle with the printer anymore yesterday (it's incapable of printing more than 1 page at a time, so I have to stand over the printer and drop a new piece of paper in it just after the other one curls around the roll...it's exhausting, especially when printing 20 pages.)

My Parents are about as thrilled at me applying to more schools as they were when I announced I was getting a tattoo last year (which I still haven't done...but I will...I think.) I don't know what bothers them more, the fact that I'm planning on going back to the UK to study (don't think they can handle anymore tearful phone calls), they think I'm going into debt for a useless cause, because they think the subject is pointless (they think If I want to be a writer I should just sit down and write instead of studying it), or perhaps the fear that I'll come out the other end even more unemployable than I am now (which I suppose is valid.)

I, on the other hand, am hopeful. I am throwing off the rejection (from the School who shall remain nameless) and having another go at it. And even if I don't get into ANY grad schools, I'll take a crappy job (I'm used to those) and continue to write on my own time. At least I'll know I tried, right?!

Right! (thanks for agreeing with me.) I'm planning on finishing the rest of my apps today and getting them in the mail on Monday. I would appreciate any thoughts of luck you can send wafting my way. Thanks :)

No comments: