I never expected getting into Grad school to be easy. Part of the appeal of grad school is that you know you have to be qualified and have to be ready to make the commitment (both emotionally and financially.) So needless to say I wasn't too surprised when my quest to get into grad school hit some bumps.
Sure, I didn't get into the first school I applied to and the series of writing samples and essays was dizzying, but I knew it was all worth it in the end.
I was rewarded last month with an acceptance into a great school in London. I'm still considering the offer but in the mean time am waiting to hear back from my other choices. I was informed a few weeks ago that I didn't get into my second choice. They were kind enough to let me know of my rejection three times, because of course once is just isn't enough.
My first choice is still deliberating over the slew of applicants who applied to their course and I know I won't hear back from them for at least a month. The most infuriating thing, however, is that I hadn't heard back for another one of my choices despite them stating that they would get back to me within three weeks. A month and a half later I sent them an email asking for the status of my application only to have them tell me that I was missing some significant information.
This was and is ludicrous as I had my writing sample sent directly to them MONTHS AGO. So what happened? and why wasn't I informed that my application was on hold until this information was supplied? (again)
I am now running out of time to make a decision and apply for a federal loan. I also may miss out the chance to get decent housing at the London University (If I decide to go there) because I have to have applied for it before June (which I probably won't be able to do because this University won't get back to me beforehand.)
So I ask you, is it really too much to ask to have someone do their job properly? I just want to know my status and am constantly kept waiting or left completely in the dark because someone can't see that within the next two months I have to make a major decision about where I'm going to study and live and try and find the thousands upon thousands of dollars it's going to take to fund it. Money doesn't just appear out of nowhere you know!
I have never felt more stressed in my life and find myself on the verge of tears at the most inopportune times. So thanks so much Universities for all your hard work. And if I'm not in attendance at your school come September it's because you've sent me round the twist and I'm staying in my neighborhood crazy house.
No comments:
Post a Comment