Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Newcastle Bound

After months of stress, essays, emails and rejections my grad school destination has finally been decided. I'm going to Newcastle University in the North East of England.

I'm finding it hard to sum up into words what I'm thinking and feeling at the moment. To be perfectly honest I'm a little overwhelmed that I got into Newcastle at all, or that I got into any of my choices actually. It was a hard decision, not just about picking the best school, but where I can be pushed out of my comfort zone to have a completely new experience.

Newcastle, at the end of the day has everything I'm looking for, it's a city (but not as big as London), it has a great reputation and a great program, It's somewhere I've never been before, it's still close to the countryside if I feel the need to escape and it's chock full of other students who I will hopefully make friends of.

Now comes the tricky bit though, the financing! Who would have thought the easy bit would be applying and getting an offer? anyway, I have just a few month to put together a stash of money so big that if put it to another( and perhaps more practical use) I could buy a house and possibly a new car! Ah well, I've never been one for being practical.

I feel this is a huge, immensely important bit in my life and will probably influence what I am like, where I am and what I want in a couple of years time. I'm so looking forward to doing nothing but writing, talking about writing, thinking about writing and having the university experience I was too chicken to have as a teenager.

I know it's going to be hard to adjust to being in the UK again, but I'm looking forward to living there as an adult and being completely independent. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I get my loans and everything goes smoothly. Oh, and if you're ever in Newcastle after September, look me up. :)

No comments: