Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

My Mum (yes, with a U...I'm English after all) is a very patient woman. I was certainly not the easiest child to deal with. While my brother was generally cheery and pleasant, I tended to hover somewhere between perpetual shyness and incessant talking.

In my early teen years I was something of a nightmare. Not in the staying out late, getting drunk and smoking God knows what sense, but in the locking myself in my room, staring at the ceiling and refusing to socialize sense. There was a combination of reason why I did these things, one of which was to punish my Parents for moving and the other...well, to be honest I can't really remember.

Things all changed during my senior year of high school. Thanks to my English education I had fulfilled the majority of my graduation requirements (I could have graduated early if I'd finished my community service requirement) and because of this my last few months were filled with a series of art classes. I would go home for lunch everyday and if I had a particularly pointless class, or if the weather was nice, My Mum would call in for me and we would go shopping.

It was during this time that we became friends as well and Mother and Daughter. Ten years later my Mum and I are still best friends and I'm really grateful for those last few months of school for making that happen.

Happy Mothers Day to the Best Mum ever and the greatest friend a girl could have.
xoxo

1 comment:

Susie Q said...

You look just like her!!!! I'm glad you have such a great mom!