Sunday, April 4, 2010

The New Doctor


As I'm sure I've mentioned once or perhaps a million times, I'm a massive, crazy, obsessed Doctor Who fan. I even have a Tardis shaped piggy bank.

Christopher Eccleston left the show after his first year I was super depressed...until David Tennant came along and created a Doctor so amazing (and let's face it, fancyable) that I would spend the best part of the next four years obsessing over the show and having the DVD's shipped from the UK just so I could watch it sooner than it aired in the US.

Mr. Tennant left the show this past Christmas and I have to say I was distraught. I probably cried (as I'm inclined to do) and my mind ran away with thoughts that my favorite show would be ruined forever. As you know by now I am a major drama queen.

I soon got over my disappointment (the last few episodes seemed a little out of character for my beloved Doctor.) I began to be reassured by the fact that Stephen Moffat (who wrote the amazingly hilarious Coupling and invented the phrases "Captain subtext" and "giggle loop") would now be writing and producing Doctor Who full time.

This is the man who wrote the episode with the gas mask zombies in WWII London and who brought us the weeping angles in the episode "Blink" (perhaps the most terrifying Doctor Who episode ever!)

I was also placated by the fact that the new companion was a redhead (yay Gingers!) I have faith that the BBC wouldn't gamble one of their most popular franchises on someone unworthy and this is why I was super excited when the new season started in the UK last night, and the reviews were amazing. I'm so excited to hop back into the Tardis with a new Doctor and new companion and see what they make of it.

I will forever hold a soft spot of David Tennant and his brown, striped suit and quaff of hair. I loved his Doctors relationships with Rose and and the way the character changed in the four years we got with him...but I think perhaps he was right to leave when he did and to pass the key to the Tardis on to someone else. By the looks of these clips the Tardis is in good hands.



No comments: