Saturday, April 3, 2010

Jaded

One of my favorite TV shows of all time is finally coming out on DVD next month and I couldn't be more excited.

Daria was one of the few things that I loved when I moved back to America in high school and probably one of the few things that got me through high school unscathed. While I thought (perhaps hoped) that I was like Daria (seriously, who didn't want to be that witty??) I know that I couldn't hold a candle to a character so completely jaded and intelligent that the whole world was a joke by comparison.

I've spent most of my weekend (no hours at work) watching the Daria movies they released a few years ago and remembered how much I loved the humor of the show...and how much I had a crush on Trent (Which is a little worrying considering he's a cartoon)

Anyway, I don't know whether the show effected me so much because I felt like a complete outcast or because I wanted to be an outcast (I've blocked a lot of high school out so please forgive me for not remembering) but being short and pudgy with a funny accent while in a school full of rich Amazons, it helped me get to graduation, that's all I can say.

That's not to say that I didn't go to school with some great people. I've already said that I was a crappy friend to a lot of them, who can blame them for getting bored with me. I was a misery, hardly someone you'd want to be around. I'd like to say that if I could go back I'd be different, but that would probably be a lie.

I think all kids who move around deal with it in different ways. My brother turned into the life of the party. I turned into the girl in the sweatshirt sitting in the corner reading David Copperfield.

I've changed a lot since high school (thank God!) but my point is this. I couldn't have become the person I am today without that TV show. As lame as it sounds it proved to me that you don't have to be the life of the party, you don't have to filter your opinions and it's up to you to decide what you want to be. I always thought I was an idiot but just because I didn't get straight A's didn't mean I was stupid. Intelligence is what you make it and if you don't think you're smart enough, educate yourself until you are.

I'm never going to be a brain. I'm never going to be one of those girls who lights up a room and I probably won't change the world...but I sure as hell will have an opinion about it and perhaps a little sarcastic remark as well. Thanks Daria (I know she doesn't exist...it sounds better than thanks MTV, right?)

No comments: