Monday, February 6, 2012

Back in the Game

So... I had a date this weekend.

If you've ever read this blog before you'll know that this is a rare occurrence. I wish I could say that we met in some romantic way, like a "meet cute" in a movie but we didn't. Actually, we met online. Apparently there isn't a stigma with online dating anymore but I still think it leads the outside world to believe there is something intrinsically wrong with you. 

I'll get back to the date in a minute but first feel I should enlighten you to how I came to have a profile on a prominent dating sight. It started around Christmas when my parents had friends over and my brother called and expounded on the fact that he'd met a "sweetheart" of a girl on said prominent dating sight. Whenever my brother calls with similar news I always end up feeling like a spotlight  has been fixed on me and all eyes whoosh towards me as if to say "well, what's wrong with you then? why don't you have a boyfriend?"

So on a cold night in December when I was sitting on the couch in a quiet house, I went to the site and filled out a profile. I then proceeded to ignore the emails, winks and creepy 45 year old men who tried to get in touch with me. After about a week of despairing at the quality of men available in my area I cancelled my subscription and  ignored the emails. That is until I came across one from a guy from England.

I'll admit my perpetual homesickness probably had something to do with my ignoring the nine year age difference (I have squashed romances for a two year difference before). So we emailed until my subscription ran out (about 4 days later) and then swapped personal email info. I waited about a week until I gave out my phone number and didn't meet up with Mr. X until we'd been texting for over a week.

So blah blah blah, we eventually did meet (in a public place, I'm not stupid) and had a very nice chatty evening discussing what we miss most about England. It was fine, nice even, but as I got in the car to drive home I was very aware that there was a nine year age difference and that I wasn't in the least bit interested. Which kinda sucks because single English guys are hard to find in these parts.

So, there you go. Hardly a online dating horror story like many have had. I suppose this is the point of dating, trying people on and seeing how they fit. I think I'm just too lazy for it. All the palarva that goes into it. The primping and meeting for drinks, trying to avoid eye contact during those awkward silences and  devouring your food so that you have something to do with your hands.

So now what? I have no intention of doing this again unless I hit 30 (oh please God, don't let me still be single at 30). So I suppose I'll have to meet people the normal way, in a bar, at Starbucks or at work (perhaps another reason why I need a different job. No eligible men where I work).

In the whole scheme of things this is perhaps a little low on my priority list anyway. Surely a job, house and stocked wardrobe are more important. Right? guys?









2 comments:

nk said...

Hey I'm single and 30.

Hannah said...

NK, there's nothing wrong with being single and 30, I'm just in a constant state of feeling sorry for myself.