Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Christmas in June

It only takes watching on Christmas episode of one of my favourite TV shows for me to be illogically longing for Christmas. Not sure where my obsession with the season of goodwill stems from. Possibly from the fact that I worked in a Hallmark shop when I was 16 and we got Christmas ornaments in as early as July, or maybe the fact that Christmas episodes of TV shows are always awesome...even when they're bad.

Whatever the reason I have a serious craving for eggnog, chocolate Santas and of course, Starbucks Gingerbread latte. The next six months will no doubt be torture without these things.

I think it's the build up to Christmas that gets me. Carols playing over the malls loud speaker (charming when you're a shopper, torture when you're an employee), the ability to incorporate obnoxious details into your everyday wardrobe (Santa hats, necklaces with jingle bells, glitter and last but not least...the infamous, ridiculous, Christmas-wouldn't-be-the-same-without...Christmas sweater, covered in a plethora of felt Christmas trees, bells, and often weird animals wrapped in bows). Ah the holidays!

Oh course I don't want to skip to December. I love the summer and fall too. I miss hot summer days on the deck, back to school shopping (even though I've been out of school for ages), the crunch of leaves, the smell of the first evening fire and Strangely since I've been away from the States for a year I've really missed Thanksgiving. It's not a holiday I usually celebrate or enjoy, but am determined to do so this year with the gusto of every Midwestern family (minus the green bean casserole...that's just weird).

I won't be skipping to December 24th just yet, but I might have a roast dinner on Sunday and pretend it comes with a Christmas cracker and a mince pie. Baby steps, ya know.

No comments: