Thursday, March 31, 2011

Return to Sender

You may notice that I've let this blog languish a bit recently. This could be because I'm currently writing a lot in my spare time for my course but I think mostly it's because technically I'm not an Essex Girl in the USA at the moment.

That will all change next week when I'm going home for a holiday after six months away. At Christmas I was dreading the prospect of this trip. The lines at the airport, security, carrying my passport and exchanging money, the constant pull of duty free and the week long bruise on my shoulder from carrying my hand luggage.

Recently, however, I've really started to miss "home" (although the concept of "home" is still one of those things I have trouble getting to grips with ). So regardless, I'm excited to be heading back to the D. Hopefully I'll have missed the snow and will get to enjoy the beginning of Spring.

Most of all though I'm excited for (apart from seeing friends and family, naturally) driving! I haven't driven a car since moving to the UK and I've missed it so much I can't even tell you. This is the longest I've gone without driving since I was 16 and as I'm on the verge of my 27th Birthday I can't think of a better treat than getting behind the wheel of a car, putting the windows down (even if it is snowing I'm gunna do this) and blasting some awesome rock music (Probably Pink Floyd or Biffy Clyro).

I've also missed the following things from the Great U S of A and will be making a distinct effort to reconnect with them:

TV Shows: NCIS, Chuck, The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, White Collar, In Plain Sight, Bathtastic, The entire food network, Nickelodeon (specifically Spongebob Squarepants and The Penguins of Madagascar), How I Met Your Mother, Mr. Sunshine (haven't seen it but I heart Matthew Perry), and many others I can't think of right now.

Mexican food
cheap everything
Forever 21
Old Navy
Pudding
My double bed (the one I have in the res is smaller than a twin!!!!)
proper coffee
American Pancakes (can't get banana pancakes here at all. for a country who seems to hate the French we sure as hell seem to love Crepes)
Massive grocery shores (where else can you buy a fishing rod and baking soda in the same place?)
empty movie theatres without seat assignments
The sun!
My cat Max

I'm sure there's a lot more but this is all I can think of. Of course there is stuff that I love about the UK but I'll save that for the post when I'm about to leave and come back "home." See, I told you the concept of home is a tricky one for me. Hmm...

No comments: