Saturday, February 5, 2011

When You Wish Upon a Star...

Once upon a time there was a girl...

I saw the most recent Disney film Tangled today and it reminded me how intrinsically linked I have always been with these films and this company.



When I was little I wanted to be a cartoonist. I would spend hours hunched over a desk drawing Mickey Mouse, trying to get the ears just right. When I went to Disney World in Florida I wasn't so much interested in the rides as I was in wondering through where the animators worked, to stand above them on a platform as they created characters for some as yet unknown film.

There's something about these films that enable even a cynical adult like myself to suspend disbelief for a few short hours and enjoy tales or heroism, love and excitement. Ariel was always my favourite (because of the red hair) but I think I'll always have a soft spot for Aladdin and the Lion King too.

I don't know exactly when I realised I wasn't talented enou
gh to become an animator, probably when I hit middle school, but I still have a soft spot for Disney. Some of my favourite memories come from times I've spent in the Disney parks or from the films I've watched.

I'd love to one day write for a Disney film. I think that would make my nine year old self happy and as we all know "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you."

No comments: