Sunday, August 18, 2013

I Want to Hold Your Hand

I have been on more dates in the last six months than I have in the last six years, and I've gotta ask... What is it with all the hand holding? When did that suddenly become a thing?

On every single first date I have had this year the gentleman I'm with has felt compelled to take my hand as we walk somewhere, even if it's just across a parking lot. Why?

To me hand holding is something generally reserved for established couples. It's something you do when you can't (or don't want to) make out in public. It's a way of touching, showing intimacy without  jamming your tongue down someones throat. So someone please explain what a guy gets out of fondling my hand while I walk across a perfectly flat surface on a first date?

Are they afraid I'm going to fall over? Granted, I have a tendency to rock some pretty spectacular heels, but I've been wearing them since I was 14, I think I know how to walk in a straight line without toppling over.

Is it a possessive thing? Is this the way men signal to other men that they're on a date and may (potentially) get lucky? Does it create a neon, flashing light over the woman's head saying "Taken"? If so, surely a hand on the ass would be more effective.

Or could it be that men do it because they think it's what we want? Do they have some romantic notion that along with the long forgotten gift of flowers on a first date, the opening of doors, pulling out of chairs and generally chivalry relegated to romantic comedies and Cary Grant movies, holding hands is something we want but no longer expect?

I honestly don't know. And granted, in the scheme of things and on the spectrum of bad dates, holding hands falls in the realm of pretty harmless and something to tolerate. But how long do you wait to say hand holding isn't for you? And more importantly what is the male reasoning behind it?

Side Note: I would like to note that while hand holding on the first date bothers me, kissing doesn't (unless it's crap)... which probably says more about me than I'd like.


No comments: