Thursday, December 9, 2010

Essex Girl in Newcastle!

Okay,

So it's been a little while. A lot has happened in the last few months. Some amazing things and some truly horrible things. I've contemplated blogging about it before now but can't really seem to come up with anything interesting, so I suppose I'll just be honest instead.

I'm in Newcastle and have truly fallen in love with the city. It's wonderful (even covered in a foot of snow...although the appeal is slowly fading). I've met some amazing new friends from all over the world including China, India, Canada, the US, Texas (he likes to think it's its own country), and of course the UK. As expected I'm still a bit of an outcast in the sense that I'm not really English but not American either. I live in an international residence and am one of maybe 2 or 3 people from the UK. Not that it matters, everyone's so lovely it never matters where you're from, as long as you support Newcastle FC or at least pretend to on match days.

My course is amazing and although I'm feeling slightly guilty that I seem to spend as much time partying as writing (oops) I really think it'll help me become a better writer. It's fab being surrounded by people who are so into writing and so good at it. There is not one person on the course who doesn't deserve to be here and that's really nice. I'm taking a class called writing for radio which I'm pretty sure I suck at, but it's always fun to try new things.

I've already been on a trip to Oslo with my fabulous friends and tomorrow is a Mad Men themed birthday party where I can finally put my vintage 60s cocktail dress to good use (I've only have it 3 years without ever wearing it) Happy Birthday Alexis! And on Sunday it's a booze and bake. Booze seems to feature pretty strongly in my life at the moment.

On the horrible side of things I had a rather traumatic and immensely sad death in the family a few months ago. One of my favourite people in the world passed away and I'm still not really sure if it's sunk in yet. It's the sort of thing that everyone has to deal with at some point but that still doesn't make it any easier, and with Christmas coming up I imagine it's only going to get worse.

I'm not really in the Christmas spirit despite the flashing Christmas hat I bought a few weeks ago. It's unusual for me but there are other things to concentrate on, like getting all my submission in on time. I like to think I work well under pressure and I think the immediate new year will either prove or disprove this theory. I have lots of writing to catch up on but I'm actually looking forward to doing it, so that's something.

I know this isn't a particularly detailed update but too much has happened to cram into one blog post. Hopefully this has gotten me over my blog writers block and I'll be back more often.

Here are some pictures of my new home for you to enjoy:


No comments: